Monday, February 23, 2009

How I became twice the woman I use to be...and maintain my weight

Yes, it's true. I feel like I am truly twice the woman Dave married. I like to reinforce to people that it is NOT easy maintaining this weight of mine, it takes alot of work. And below are two examples of how I maintain my weight.
Nanaimo Bars!
The husband of a dear friend of mine had major surgery and when I asked what I could do to help them, my friend said that Nanaimo bars would surely make her husband feel better and help decrease her stress. Just before I left for the store to get three of the ingredients I was lacking up home, Sheila called and when I told her that I was going to make Nanaimo Bars, she said, "Wouldn't it be easier to just pick some up?" Well, I'm not in Canada any more, and I can't just go to Costco and pick some up. I actually have to make them from scratch because they are something that are Truly Canadian! They are so common, that Sheila and Darrell had no idea that they were a Canadian delicacy.
Next are something that are Truly American.
Samoas (at least a homemade bar version of the Girl Scout classic)
For my fellow Canadians, what do you think of when you think of Girl Scout cookies? The option of vanilla or chocolate wafer cookies right? Well, was I surprised when I experienced my first February down in the USA and a list and pictures of the Girl Scout cookies to preorder. My favorite is the Samoa, a donut shaped shortbread cookie topped with a layer of coconut and caramel topped with a drizzling of chocolate, and resting on a thin bed of chocolate. I have been known to order MANY boxes with plans to freeze them to enjoy throughout the year...they may freeze well, but they don't last throughout the year... (I don't know who gave me that idea)
Well, I found a recipe online and had to try it out. If I make them again, I would make alterations like halfing the shortbread portion because the layer was just too thick. Nicole said that it tasted like a Samoa but I found it to be lacking in flavor (maybe because of the excess cookie). But as I have discovered over the years, I need more seasoning/flavoring than I use to need to be satisfied but, I could feel the richness of the bars after eating one...okay, two.

6 comments:

.Ang. said...

those "samoan" girl guide cookies look good!!

I Do miss nanaimo bars! i thought about making them once but couldn't figure out how to get a hold of custard powder???

Where did you find your recipe?

Lana Dawn said...

i love both of these treats

SO MUCH!!!

i think i might be twice the woman i used to be if i were there at your house

can we make these things sometime?
or can i get the recipe?

it makes me sad that no one knows about nanaimo bars here.. i love them

Burgess Family said...

The things you learn by talking to family. Who would have thought the Americans haven't caught onto Nanaimo bars.

Looks like the recipe turned out for the Nanaimo bars - they look great...and I'm sure you tested them before you delivered some to your friend.

As for the samoan...that is all new to me. It looked like it is pretty sweet. I will have to try them one day.

Wilma said...

Ang, use instant vanilla pudding, that's what I do. I found the recipe online but actually combined some by using more sugar and vanilla.

Alana, yes we can make these when you come up next time, and I can post the recipes if you like.

May Takahashi said...

Did you know they have mixes for nanaimo bars. I think I still have half of a package left. They have 2 packages in a box. I didn't know it was a Canadian thing.
I just went to a viewing and reception for a second cousin of ours on the Shimbashi side who just passed away. Our Grandfathers on my mothers side were brothers, His name was Eizo Nishida, They had Nanaimo bars for luinch with the cookies and cakes they served.I think I have a recipe and will post it later
Lunch was catered but there was Japanese food (Eg sushi,manju rice bags) that people brought. All was good.I didn't know him too well. I do know his two sisters-Nancy( Nishida,Katakam)Nakamura and
Thelma(Nishida) Saito. Both are in Lethbridge.i

.Ang. said...

yes!! Post the recipe!!! that would be delightful!