Tuesday, February 17, 2009

It's my party...and then some...

Thank you to all of you that added positively to my birthday! Family and friends is what is it all about. I had a nice relaxing birthday and it was complete by talking with Mom and Dad, Doug, Sheila and Sharon at different times during the day.

Chay picked out a nice chocolate cake for me and the sugar flowers were so nice that I could have worn them as a corsage if I needed one.

Mentally I don't feel my age but, in the past week I have noticed that my eyes have taken on a different look...an Asian slant sort of thing (I'm turning Japanese...yes I think so....).

Chay also picked out a beautiful orchid for me, I love orchids. I still have the one from last year and I'm hoping that it will blossom again this year.

Nicole had been craving chocolate covered strawberries since Valentine's Day and last night my dear friend Krissi made her happy by delivering my birthday present...which included 3 chocolate covered strawberries! Very delicious!


We picked Alana up on Saturday and we ate a lot while she was here. We went to Chinese Gourmet one day and then adventured out and tried a restaurant we haven't been to before. We have done that before and have been disappointed in the past but this time we were pleasantly surprised, and we were all so stuffed when we left.

We started out with an appetizer...
...attacked it...
...and kept attacking it...Nice homemade rolls with a cinnamon/honey butter (?) There was something different in the butter but, I couldn't quite place it but the kids seemed to enjoy it!
We left with leftover containers of food and that's always nice because it means snacks later. The manager also came to the table while we were eating to make sure things were going well, and since it was our first time there, he gave us a package of "Texas peanuts" and a coupon for a free appetizer for "next" time. We discovered however, that after the buns and eating an appetizer, that's pretty much all you need.

Then we played games...Pictionary, which is a favorite of mine from the BYU days, Mad Gab, which is definitely Alana's game because dang, she can get those sayings quickly without any help, and a chopstick game which tested our Japanese genes. And I must say, I received the most penalties for dropping my log before I made it to the tower...and that is why I eat with a fork...

Chay thought that we should have some heart shaped cookies for Valentine's Day and so he found a recipe, put out the ingredients, and Blade and I made the cookies.
...Someone "broke my heart"...
How does she study like this?
...but it must work because she does well in school.

I recieved some bento box supplies and was very excited to try the egg shapers. (sorry Doug, it's back to food again but, it's Japanese stuff so it might take you back to the years you spent in Japan)
The peeled hard boiled eggs before placement into the "shapers".
A cold bath for 10 minutes.
...the revealing....
AND our fish and car shaped eggs! I likey!
(I'm copying that phrase from Angie who obviously got that from Grandpa!)
Blade's lunch with the new toys (I'm a novice now but just wait...)
I made some quick cookies for a party at work and my trusty assistant was there beside me. He helped mix and was in charge of the colored sugar. He knew exactly how he wanted the sugar and did not need nor want any help from me. He is becoming quite the baker!
(can you tell that he's MY son?...and I think we STILL have the same hair style)

6 comments:

Lana Dawn said...

what a good weekend it was! and i don't mind all the talk about food. that is what i do best.. eat! and your next trip to texas roadhouse will be so good because of the free appetizer. like i said before, you don't need to buy anything else, that and the bread filled me up.

but thanks again for coming and picking me up! it was just what i needed... and winning mad gab is always a good time.

i hope you had a happy birthday!! hope to see you guys again soon!

jacquirae said...

Looks like you had a fun birthday and that you have a picture you can use for your facebook profile. I expect to see it up there by the end of the week.

I wish I had a lunch with toys in it like Blade. The things on the grapes are a little awkward to me though because they sorta look like sperm. I don't get it, apparently.

May Takahashi said...

Glad to hear hear you had such a awesome birthday. It was nice that Alana could enjoy the day with you. THe cake and orchid that Chay picked were great. He seems to be so grown up now. I can't believe how Blade has grown up -even since we saw him in November.
Regards to Dave and all the kids.

Wilma said...

jaQee, you may need therapy...but, you are funny.

Two of the grapes are suppose to look like balloons and one has bones in it like a drumstick (without the meat).

Burgess Family said...

I love your littel helper. And those cookies - chocolate chips into heart shapes...I love it!

The bento box and the eggs - I likey.

And a free appetizer - I'm impressed...you did well.

When I get a moment I will have to share with you how we celebrated your birthday.

M. Piepgrass said...

Wow. I just read what Jacqui said about the grape things and I thought the exact same thing but didn't feel like asking. Thanks for sharing your thoughts Jacqui.