This week end was a time for change.
First, we FINALLY changed the light fixture in our bathroom. For those that have been to our home, you know what a treat that is. I know I should have taken a before picture but Dave and Nicole got going on the project before I was aware, and there wasn't a picture before because I'm not stupid, and didn't want any evidence of it "hanging" around. ( and again, those that have been to my home, know that that old fixture was literally just hanging there, and it wasn't a chandelier)
I finally made some cookies to Thank the Millers for giving us their left over sod.
On Sunday morning, I woke up and saw that it was snowing! The beautifully warm Spring that we were having ended "overnight", we're not ready for that change. It continued to snow off and on throughout the day but the roads and sidewalks were warm and so no snow piled up.
We went to the Yale Ward for the first time today (at 9:00am instead of 1:00). In the past we have have gone to the Yale 2nd Ward but, over the years the Yale 1st and 2nd Wards have decreased in number and so the two have combined. It was a big change from sitting in Sacrament meeting with maybe half the Chapel filled to sitting there with the Chapel full and people sitting in the foyer. AND it was a change to have Blade sitting quietly(relatively) throughout the meeting. However, it was kind of humorous during the closing prayer when Blade was standing and then laid back on my lap and he must have moved the wrong way because all of a sudden there was a THUD as he fell on his back onto the floor. He didn't make a sound verbally so he was okay, but Nicole and I couldn't help but snicker. It'll be different to have a "normal" sized Ward but I'm sure we'll adjust (we'll just have to make sure that someone skips out of class early so that we can get a row in the chapel...)
Because we had the "whole" day left now that we were home at 12:00, we ate and then decided to make more sugar cookies since we gave most of the others away and now had the taste for more. Dave was at work but the rest of us all joined together and made and decorated cookies. I felt like my Mom at that moment because while I was growing up, she always made the best sugar cookies for all the different Holidays.
And on this Canadian Thanksgiving Day, I say "Thank you" to my family. My vocabulary is insufficient to adequately express how I feel towards my family but my Mom and Dad are the strongest people I know. They grew up during a difficult time for Japanese in Canada and had the strength to join the Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints . Because of their strength and courage, I grew up with everything that I ever needed and had the bonus of being able to spend quality time with them and my siblings camping, fishing, skiing, and going on great vacations every summer. Just going for day drives were fun, or even just to Park Lake. They also had strong parents who made the journey to Canada. I didn't have the opportunity to know my Dad's parents but I do know that my Dad's mom loved him so much that at birth she disobeyed the doctors and instead of using her strength to nurse the stronger baby, she nursed my Dad. And now, as a result, there are a lot of us Takahashi's around. And to think of all the lives my Dad has touched through his career as a caring physician. And my Mom's parents had the strongest work ethic and showed so much love to their grandkids. Even with "my" memory, I will always remember the parties at Grandma's and Grandpa's home filled with EVERYONE and playing bingo.
I also learned on Sunday that Blade knows more than I give him credit for. When Blade starts to act like a baby doing the baby talk thing, thinking it's cute, I tell him he's a big boy. Yesterday he told me,
"I was a baby when I was in your tummy".
"Yes you were".
"Then you sneezed".
"Then what happened?"
"I popped out".
"Yeah, you kind of did". At this point I was amazed, my baby is growing up...then he said,
"You sneezed and I popped out of your mouth!"
I had to laugh out loud on that one, I couldn't keep that laughter in...my big boy is still my "baby".
Life is good.
This picture is for Mom to show her that Dad's supplies did indeed arrive on Thursday! So it is safe for them to come down whenever they want and stay as long as the supplies last. I'm looking forward to their visit and it would have been nice to have them down sooner but, as we all know from recent posts and comments, there is a reason their beautiful new car was damaged and postponed their trip. Mom and Dad, we'll enjoy your company whenever you can make it!
6 comments:
First of all The light looks great!
Those cookies Look amazing!! I love your cookie cutters! and you all did a great job cutting out and decorating. I really wish i could eat some.. I agree the witches are my fav! How do you get your icing like that?!?! Everytime i try to do a nice glaze icing it gets to runny, then to thick, then too runny again and i just give up..
I can't believe you have snow. Well i can, cause it's really not that crazy. But i just went on a walk with Erika and there are flowers in bloom, and leaves on all the trees, a nice warm breeze, we had a little mist shower that cooled down the blazing sun... I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's crazy that it's winter somewhere, the weather here is pretty much the same all year round. and I guess I'm also saying that you should come visit while there is snow on the ground back home! I know you want to!
How nice that blade sits quietly in church. Brylie has good days and bad days. We had a family home evening lesson devoted to reverence and she has been doing GREAT ever since!
I am so grateful for Grandma and Grandpa as well (that's your mom and dad!) They truly are strong, steadfast people with hearts of gold! They are the best examples of serving others with a smile!
I have to tell you, It's nice to hear that Brylie isn't the only 3 year old that thinks talking like a baby is cute. Truth be told it's driving me NUTS!! Actually on said walk I told her i couldn't hear her unless she talked like a big girl... it didn't work. She just told me to cover my ears.
I am interested to hear more about this sneezing and popping a baby out of your mouth... It sounds easier than the way I do things..
haha I love this stage! How they can put their feelings and thoughts, and the way THEY see things into words (Most of the time).
Blade just has it all figure out! :)
Love you guys!
I love the light!! and i don't even remember what was in there before (which is probably what you want to hear).. but this light looks awesome.
Those cookies do look delicious! i am in awe, i need to come make some with you. Seriously.. i am with Angie on the icing.. how did you do that? And how did you manage not to eat them all while oyu were making them, i think i might have.
we got snow too.. but not as much as you did. I would be lying if i said it was a pleasant surprise.
I am thankful for Grandma and Grandpa too! they have done some amazing things (like raising my dad and his amazing sisters!)
I am thankful for you too! and your family and for always letting me come and hang out!
Loved the story about Blade, and i am glad he made it through church.
Thanks for the kind words Wilma ,Alana and all the rest. I have to admit my children were all very good most of the time. They didn't give us a lot of headaches like some children do. Thank you Doug,Sharon,Sheila and Wilma for being who you are.
The most important thing parents can do is raise your children so that they can make their own decisions and be their own person. I read about some kids who are tied to their mothers apron strings when they are in their thirties and forties. What will they do when their parents are no longer around
Sometimes my comments don't go. My password is wrong-they keep saying. It worked before.
ERika --if you read this congrats on your new calling. That is great and you will do well,. May
Hey Wilma,
Your thanks that you expressed to everyone was nice. If you don't mind I am going to do a similar thing on my blog.
My favorite cookies were the Frankenstein ones! They are all so sweet though!!.....Pun DEFINITELY intended haha!
When the secret to making the icing is reveailed, I might give it a try!....Although after making Skor cake for my friend on Sunday I realized that I should only make desserts every once in a while... I EAT more than I make!!! That is NOT good for my hawaii preparation.
I would really like to learn more about Grandma and Grandpa's past. I dont know enough. What is the best way for me to learn more?
Yessss...you got something done around the house. and it was a family effort.
I loved the cookies. So did I miss reading it...what where the ingredients for decorating the top pf the cookies. The project looks like way too much work...I will have to try it sometimes.
And enjoyed all the comments about Mom and Dad...it's all true...they are the best...okay we aren't all that bad either.
Post a Comment