Wednesday, October 22, 2008

In the beginning....


This is the project that started me on the search for a sugar cookie recipe. I signed up for dessert for a baby shower at work and it was the perfect opportunity to try the cookie cutter that I received at a baby shower for our dear friends next door whose son and daughter-in-law are expecting twins. I haven't tried all the recipes I found online but I did throw a batch out... (if something just doesn't taste good to me, I prefer to toss it then to have others eat it and think that I meant for it to taste that way). I had the same issue with the icing that others have mentioned, this one was too thin and ran.


Here is the recipe that AK requested but, after the enchilada episode, I'm hesitant to put it out there... Mom, what is your recipe for sugar cookies?

Sugar Cookies

Cream:

1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup sugar

Add:

1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 T milk
1/4-1/2 tsp almond extract (optional but I add this, it really enhances the flavor)

Add:

2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Chill in fridge for an hour. Roll out and cut out. I like to roll them a bit thicker, about 1/4 inch. If I do cookie bouquets even up to 1/2 inch. Bake at 375 degrees F for 8-10 minutes. For a moist cookie, watch for the edges to just barely begin to turn brown.


Another Zak siting...

AK, I finally cropped the picture of Zak and I'll get a print to you. I took a picture of it so that I could share it with you instantly but it keeps coming out blurry when it uploads, and I couldn't get the scanned picture to upload.


"I put lotion on Mom" (...yes you did)

I heard Blade tell me this and when he came up the stairs, I was greeted with this precious face... In our family, it is very important to put lotion on because along with the blessing of having pigment to the skin, comes the torture (according to Chay) of having to put lotion on. I didn't even know the word "ashy" in reference to skin until I met Dave (for you out there that are ebonically challenged," ashy" skin is when the skin is dry and looks like it has a layer of white dust on it). Blade listens to everything that goes on around the house and apparently hears me ask Chay too frequently, "Did you put lotion on?"

AND DOUG, it's great to have you back in the blogging world. I've missed your humor. I'm glad that things have slowed down abit so that you have time to blog. AND I'll try to find other topics to blog about other than recipes (however, I do enjoy cooking and creating...) Stories from years passed (or is it past? I should have just written "past years") are a great topic because it gives such an insight. Do you have ordinary experiences and just have a great story telling ability and make them exciting, funny and thought provoking, or has you life just been filled with these actual events and you happen to remember it all?

Nicole likes to hear stories of when I was younger but I can't think of any stories that would be interesting. The ones she knows I think involve you...like the Doug and Barton story of chasing me and bending my toes back.


8 comments:

Lana Dawn said...

love the picture of blade as i often do. i am going to have to try to make those cookies. or maybe next time i come visit you can teach me the ways. they look SO good, and that bouquet is amazing! i have realized that i can learn lots from you!

i do love the recipes and all of that. but i wouldnt' mind some stories as well.

Anonymous said...

Cookies look great!
Nice photo Chay! I learned a new term, "ashy". Have you figured out when your kids have a rash . . . this was something Darren had to learn while in Ohio. Patients would come in to the emergency and tell him they had a rash . . . and Darren's reaction was "where??"

.Ang. said...

you are a pro when it comes to creating!! I love the way the cookies turned out.

I'm with alana,I LOve every picture of Blade! he is so funny and so cute!

What is this chicken enchilada fiasco? did i miss something?

Wilma said...

Angie, read the comments after the enchilada recipe.

Thanks for the nice comments. You're right Angie, it's nice when people comment and you know they're out there.

Sharon, you made me laugh. My kids however are just a bit tanned and so I can easily tell when they have a rash and I've even seen Dave go pale.

Anonymous said...

Woops...didn't mean to cause a fiasco....! Sorry!

Burgess Family said...

Great idea for cookies...just no time these days.

But one day I will have to do those things with my kids.

And I did have to chuckle to myself when I saw that photo of Blade. It goes to show you our children really are listening to us.

Erika said...

wait... did my dad bend your toes back, or did you do it to him?

He always told us his sisters used to do that to him. Has he been lying all this time?

Anyways, I'd like to hear about that!

Anonymous said...

Here is the sugar cookie recipe that I use most of the
time.
Sugar Cookies

2/3 cup shortening
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
*************
1 egg
4 teaspoon milk
*********************
2 cups sifted all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
*************************
Thoroughly cream shortening,sugar and vanilla.
Add egg-beat till light and fluffy. Stir in the milk.
Sift together flour,baking powder and salt.Blend into creamed mixture. Divide dough in half and chill for one hour.
**************
I usually divide it into two balls and put it in a zip lock bag and keep it in frig until I am ready to make the cookies.(You can double or triple the
recipe if you want. )
On lightly floured surface roll to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut in desired shapes with cookie cutters.
Decorate as desired (That is if you are using sprinkles or something like that if you don't plan on icing it later.)
Bake on greased cookie sheet in moderate oven(375 degrees) about 6-8 minutes. Cool slightly and remove from pan. Cool . (Makes 2 dozen)
This depends on the size of your cookies.
I find the shortening makes good cookies. Its probably better for you healthwise than butter.
ICING
I mix a little bit of butter with icing sugar ,dash of salt and vanilla or other flavoring. Then add milk to make a spreading consistency. Add color to
part of it if desired.If you need several colors you need to make more icing, I would use about
1 Tablespoon of butter to about 2-3 cups of icing sugar.Use your own judgement.
Use your imagination and decorate!
(I often use a little vanilla even though I add another flavor like peppermint. Mom