Monday, May 25, 2009

Happy Memorial Day!

Happy Memorial Day! (that's why I'm home with all the kids today)


I wanted to post a picture of Grandpa Shimbashi since this is the "official" day to remember him and thank him for serving Canada during the War. ( However, unable to find any pictures I might have...)

What a strong man Grandpa Shimbashi was to leave Japan alone and at a very young age for a cold distant place called Canada. So happy that he went back to Japan to marry Grandma Shimbashi, a wonderful woman perfect for him, and returned to Canada to start a family. I can't even imagine enduring the things that they endured together throughout their lives. But I do know how proud I am of him for the priceless history that he has given our family. He was a dignified man who could literally hang out with Royalty. And today I remember him for being loyal, brave and committed, for leaving his young family to serve his new country Canada when his country did not even trust individuals of Japanese decent. I know that Grandpa was shot during the war but I don't know what part of his body took the bullet or if he had a scar. My memories may be inaccurate but I remember as a young girl seeing one of Grandpa's war medals that was in a case/box on top of his TV in the living room. I don't know what the medal was for but "my" grandpa had one!

THANK YOU Grandpa for unselfishly serving Canada and contributing to the freedom, great life and future we all have....Domo arigato Grandpa!

(there's another new post following this one so, don't stop now)

6 comments:

AK said...

http://ab.canadagenweb.org/vet/vetww1stoz.html

Let's carry our name well and honor our legacy!

May Takahashi said...

Just to clear up a few points
Dad arrived in Canada on his 16th birthday. He joined the Canadian army after the Restrurant he and another fellow had-burned down. He fought in France and Belgium on the front lines, . He was with the 50th Battalion from Calgary. He was injured during the Battle of Vimy Ridge o April 9.1917. He was injured by shrapnel and was in the hospital in France.
The details of the fight on Vimy Ridge can be found on the internet. It was an important Battle. I am not sure what metals he got. and I am not sure what happened to them.One coul;d have been for the fight on Vimy Ridge. Dad was a Private in the army but he was in the front lines I wish I could have heard more war stories but I guess they try not to remember them. Sometime when you are in Calgary you should go to the military museum .
There are pictures and things there of Dad. They may not display them all the time.
Thanks for remembering Dad.

Papahashi said...

Hey Wilma,

Check out my blog. I published a post in response to to post.

http://papahashi.blogspot.com/2009/05/in-response-to-wilmas-blog-on-memorial.html

AK said...

I believe that Grandpa was grazed in the head. His nurse was Kathleen Jones - he had a picture of her in her nurse's uniform. I saw her name on the back of the picture and asked Dad if that was who I was named after....there was no answer but what first generation Japanese man could come up with the name 'Kathleen'.
Helen was named after Helen Yuill.
May was born in May
And am I ever happy my name is NOT June!
And the boys...they were all single named (except Edward who was named after Dad) after Kings....except Pat who was born on St. Patrick's day. I understand he was suppose to be named Charles. (Sure doesn't suit him hey)
Edward Jim, George, Albert, Henry, William and Patrick
A little tidbit - it makes me think that he had big dreams for his children.

AK said...

Just an add-on....

Helen Yuill is the daughter of William Carlyle, the manager of the EP Ranch. She married Charlie Yuill who became infamous in Calgary & Calgary stampede stuff. We visited their home once when I was about 6 - it is one of the few things I remember. I still remember her grace and elegance... me being a farm girl it played a big impression on me.
I remember how happy she was to see my mom and how my mom actually spoke English to her.
Today, I think about that 'big' trip to the stampede. Don't remember the stampede but sure remember having 'tea' at her house.
Just a tidbit!

AK said...

Add on...
When Helen Yuill called my mother by 'Teru'... it was one of the few people that I heard call her by name.

I find that very interesting that I could go through life and only hear that name called a few times. Mostly it was Mrs. Shimbashi, Sister Shimbashi, Mama, grandma. etc. Even her best Japanese friends called her Shimbashi-obasan or 'san'or 'obasan'.