Tuesday, October 27, 2009

growing up....

This is a little insight to what happens around my place when a camera is left lying around with Chay home by himself... (don't get scared or worried....)

A "self portrait" of his underarm hair that is starting to grow in. (You may have to zoom in on the shot to see the evidence but, why...just take my word for it)
(I have been known to delete pictures of close ups of his nose)

Chay is now officially taller than me, I discovered that this past week end. He sure is growing up, and I swear his voice got lower during his overnight scouting trip on Friday.

Earlier this month Blade and I made ice cream, he was so excited because this was the first time we've done that with him.
It wasn't freezing fast enough for him and he couldn't keep his eyes off of it.

We made it with a "real" sugar substitute to try to make it less fattening but that was a BIG mistake...it's worth it to make it with all the REAL stuff. We'll do it again the right way.

Blade likes to keep up on his hand grooming, if I don't file his nails when they need it, he'll get the file himself and take care of it.
I have a glass file that I love. I've had it for years and it still works like it's new. It does wonders in the shower on filing that thick dry skin off the heels too.



I saw a cute idea online and had to make some Halloween treats for my co-workers.

If you make this treat, don't get the Costco chocolate covered raisins. The Kirkland brand is too high of a quality, there must be alot of chocolate on the raisins because the characteristic raisin dimples are missing and they look like almonds (any other time that would be great but not for these warts).

Yesterday Chay was so excited to get a card from Grandma. Blade was excited to see it also and Chay was kind and let Blade open the envelope. Was Chay ever surprised when he saw that the card inside was addressed to Blade.
Blade had to call Grandma as soon as I got home from work...he got the phone and dialed the number himself as I told him the numbers...and then he wanted pictures taken of the outside AND the inside.

We found out from Grandma that she was rushing to get the envelope addressed so that she could get it off in the mail in time and she must have just automatically written Chay(like I automatically call my kids their siblings' names....)

Blade is growing up to be a gentleman, he does and says the sweetest things. In Primary, he will turn around to me and give me a smile and a wink, reach back to hold my hand or just say "I love you" sporatically or "I'll miss you" when we separate for classes.
On Saturday, I was helping Blade on the computer (yes, I am still able to provide some help on the computer...) and he said "You're hands are getting old" (not such a gentleman thing to say I know).
I couldn't deny that fact and just agreed, "Yes they are".
Sweet Blade surprised me with his next comment, " Your face isn't getting old".
(and who am I to disagree with the honesty of a young gentleman?)

Alana and Sheila, here is the recipe for the microwave Caramel Popcorn. And wouldn't you know it, I had it memorized and then realized that I had kind of forgotten it once I stopped making it daily. But I'm pretty sure this is it.

I used two bags of microwave popcorn (99% fat free because then I could eat more...)

1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup karo syrup (Canadian translation-corn syrup)
1/2 tsp salt (omit if using microwave popcorn)
1 stick butter
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp vanilla

Place brown sugar, Karo syrup, salt and butter in microwave container (I used my 8 cup pyrex measuring cup)
Microwave for 30 seconds
Stir to combine then microwave to 2 minutes.
Take it out and stir, then microwave to 2 more minutes.
Take out of microwave, add baking soad and vanilla.
Stir and pour over popcorn.

For crunchy caramel popcorn:
Put in large baking pan with 2" sides, bake at 300 degrees for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.

I tried it both ways, and I like it better crunchy.

4 comments:

May Takahashi said...

Thanks for the update. I might just try the caramel popcorn sometime. I really don't need it though.
Your kids are all growing up fast.

Burgess Family said...

Sorry, still looking for the underhair.

Great gift idea.

And Blade was a fast thinker to come up with his second comment.

Thanks for the recipe. I might wait until Christmas to justify eating it.

Burgess Family said...

Clarifying about the popcorn...I meant I will not only wait until Christmas to eat the popcorn, I will make it then as well.

A couple more comments -

Wished I could have been there to enjoy the ice cream. And I'm glad you learned your
lesson - ice cream is one food you do not
cut back on the sugar.

Interesting how Blade files his nails. Looks like he
know exactly what he is doing.

.Ang. said...

HAHA love the pit picture! Haha!

I love the witches wart idea!! Very cute and very Clever!

That carmel popcorn sounds delish!

and I agree..Somethings just NEED sugar!