Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Oh Canada (eh!)

We finally made our overdue trip to Canada!

This was the first time that there has been a 2 year span between visits. When Nicole and Chay were young, we would make the trip multiples in the summer.

The planned trip in June was postponed due to the waiting of American passports but, I was lucky and at work there was still an open spot for vacation in August...and I took it!
Interestingly, the border patrol didn't even ask to see our passports when we entered into Canada (personally, I think it's part of a ploy to keep people in Canada when they don't have to proper documentation to reenter the USA)

Everyone who enters and exits Canada through Coutts, knows about the nice tourist info building AND dinosaur in Milk River but, this was the first time that I actually took the time to read the sidewalk. I found some phrases that hit home.


And this one is the story of my life...


First stop: Grandma and Grandpa's house in PB.




We wanted to help out as much as possible since we don't get that opportunity much and the kids helped pick raspberries and strawberries. This was Chay's first time with the raspberries and I warned him about the thorns so he borrowed a long sleeved shirt to protect his arms...even with that he wasn't too aggressive about reaching it but, he did get a basketful.


Blade didn't mind the thorns at all and just dove into the raspberry bushes!



There are different techniques for picking strawberries...or anything in the garden.

There is the technique that I remember Grandma Shimbashi using; and I can easily picture her in her garden right now. The bending from the waist method.
And then there is the technique using proper body mechanics as demonstrated by Nicole.


And then the preping of strawberries for tarts later.
Dave and I (along with Grandpa and the kids) helped with moving branches and cutting down large bushes growing wildly on the "back forty" lawn. I was busy working and didn't get any pictures of that.

The treat for helping out was a trip to the Frosty Dip on our tour of Picture Butte, covering the areas that Jacqui missed on her blog entry. When Blade heard about going to the Frosty Dip he was so excited and couldn't contain himself and had to make the announcement to Nicole and Chay!
By the time we were down Roger's Ave, I turned around and saw this....
I felt so sorry for Blade...

Did you know that the Frosty Dip has a drive thru? Well, the menu is there with a speaker, but we didn't know how to activate it....no one asked for our order. (Nicole and Mom checking out the menu...which by the way, is nothing like the hand written menus taped to the front windows.
So, Chay and I went to the window and waiting for our order.
Nicole and I ordered the "screamer" because it sounded like the Mr. Misty freezes that I loved getting from Dairy Queen when I was growing up and the cream slushes at Sonic that Nicole and I both enjoy. The ice cream and the slush needed to be mixed up...it was very cold, it hurt my throat to swallow it.


Unlike Jacqui, Brent, Craig and Blair, we didn't take the time to make PB landmarks look FUN...we just did "drive bys".

The old LDS Church (by PB's one way street). I can remember going to Church there when we only had the peaked part and when to Sunday School in the morning, went home to eat, and then returned in the afternoon for Sacrament meeting. And returning on Wednesday(or was it Thursday?) for Primary.


Mom and Dad's old Medical Clinic....it just isn't the same.
I actually can't imagine how the clinic could be transformed into a duplex....but that's just me.

The former PB Hospital.
What a shame that there is no longer a hospital there.


And the bakery that is supposed by Grandma and Grandpa!


As always, we ate well at Mom and Dad's. I took full advantage of that. They had purposely saved some ribs for us from when the Neilson's were visiting and we were full and didn't eat them that night and then we forgot to eat them in the morning but, Grandma froze them for us so we could enjoy them later!

Second stop: Calgary

Tuesday morning we left PB early to arrive in Calgary for our 10:30 am tour of the Callebaut Chocolate factory. Alana has a great entry on this tour, check it out.


All the parking spaces in the lot were made for this size vehicle but, we were able to squeeze our SUV rental into one...or maybe it was two...




The two butter truffle samples we received were not enough to satisfy our appetites so it was off to Costco to get some food.

Nicole had the poutine.
Chay had the chicken strips and that became his standard whenever we stopped at a Costco (Red Deer on the way to and from Edmonton). I had the oh so good french fries and gravy...mmmmm.


We stayed at Doug and Judy's and they also made sure that we had great accommodations and great food!

I'm not sure if Chay is helping Blade over the hump or just pushing him down the slide.
But Blade is definitely having a GREAT time.

Remember the "twinkie cake" that Angie talked about in her blog? Well, we were treated to those TWINKIES!

Cake filled with a creamy lemon and/or key lime cream cheese/ whipped cream filling.


Blade was so excited for these as he watched them being made, and took control of passing them out and making sure that everyone received on. Then he took the rest, got comfortable and ENJOYED!

....and they were EXCELLENT, I can see why Angie remembered them so well.

The younger generation escaped to the basement for a variety of activities.


The computer can entertain in so many ways. Jenelle showed Blade how to distort his image on the computer, he never tired of that. Chay didn't get tired of that either...some of his were alittle disturbing but funny.


We had a good night's sleep and Blade woke up and said "I had a nightmare".

I felt bad for him and was curious about his nightmare but didn't want to ask him what it was because if it was bad, I didn't want to traumatize him.

Luckily for me, he volunteered the information without me asking.

"I was sitting in my carseat..."

(I had thoughts of him being restrained in his carseat needing to desperately get free because of an accident....and that's as far as I got before he continued)

"And Chay was making me smell his feet"

"And I was breathing through my nose...."

That was a perfect way to start the day.


Another meal was Vietnamese Spring Rolls. Doug and Judy just whipped those up like it was nothing.
Chay showing off his perfectly wrapped roll (square?)


At the mall...where Nicole and Blade picked out clothing at H&M. Chay didn't find anything he liked...that was under $50. (I guess he knows me well and knew that there are just some things you just don't ask about....)


We went to Candi's new place and while we were innocently waiting outside, Nicole felt something poke her and then a shock of electricity up her arm...she was stung by a wasp. Within seconds she was starting to swell...don't worry, no respiratory distress.
We hung out at the park by Candi's and enjoyed the great weather.





Doug and Judy met us there and being the great planners that they are, had everything ready for supper in the woods cooked over a wood burning fire.


I didn't realize until Candi urgently got up looking for her car keys that she wasn't feeling well. Then I went through my pictures and saw Candi in the background looking like this...

I later found out that she was able to only take one bite of her hotdog (which I so discretely documented here) and that was all she wrote...she made it to the car, waited for Judy to get a container, and then threw up. I didn't see proof of that but I believe her. I needed verification that Candi was actually sick because as she and Judy drove off, Candi was looking out the passenger side window laughing....hmmm, suspicious behavior.
She was laughing because she had vomit in the container and was trying to keep it from splashing out while the car went over the speed bumps (and she was feeling much better after vomiting...which is always the case).

S'mores....
...roast marshmellows to perfection....


...preheat graham crackers to start the melting of the Callebaut chocolate...


...enjoying...


"...did you get a s'more Blade?"



Third stop: Edmonton and surrounding area

We stopped at Sheila's and Sharon's but neither one of them were home (we weren't expecting them to be). We picked up some stuff at Sheila's, dropped some things off at Sharon's and then headed to Edmonton to see Auntie K. We had a GPS with the rental and it lead us easily to Auntie K's.

AK provided crafts for Nicole, assembling flowers with brads to put in her hair. I loved the colors.
We had a delicious meal of chicken katsudon, with carrot cake cupcakes, strawberries from the garden and blueberries with whipped cream for dessert.
Chay getting creative with his food and taking pictures of his creation.

Zack, Eveylyn, and Jace added to the entertainment.


Evelyn shared with us a special moment she shared with Blade.
She was changing Jace's diaper and Blade must have been observing the event because he entriquingly asked Evelyn, "Does he always have diarrhea?"

Jace is such an adorable baby. Blade was so happy and pleased with himself when he was able to hold Jace by himself...so cute.

AND Jace just fell asleep in Nicole's arms....ahhhhh.
Ryan (my cousin Carol's son...this description because I don't know how to spell their last name) came over later and I can see why Jacqui enjoys his company (not in any deep South or Polygamist way) and why he was voted the most elegible bachelor in their student Ward...he's a personable gentleman.

Ever since Zak visited us after his mission, Chay has been drawn to him and has the fondest memories with him. Chay still talks about that visit over 3 years ago. And the bonding continued as they played the Wii, just finishing ONE more game...

The occasion Chay had been looking forward to for two years! Being back on the Nielson farm helping to do chores and DRIVING. Okay, in this picture Jacqui is driving but Chay had ALOT of driving time.


Even Blade was given a chore to do. Auntie Sharon asked Blade to feed the colt that didn't have a mother with it and Blade took this responsibility seriously.



The morning started out with rain but by the afternoon is was getting so nice that a trip to the river sounded like a good idea. The idea of Chay driving us down there wasn't sounding as good of an idea but, he did a great job.

The wind created was blowing dust in our eyes and that explains the expressions of Chay's and my face.

Joseph drove Sheila's family and lead the way.

THEN it was time for the horseback riding!
The Neilson's don't have their pool anymore but it's still like going to a resort!
Troy and Jacqui got the horses ready.

While the horses were being saddled up, Dave came rushing in the arena;
"I have bad news"
"There's a tornado warning"

So instead of riding down to the river, we decided it would be safest to ride in the arena.
So, I get the tallest horse...and I have the shortest legs.
Getting my leg up to the stirup and my foot securely in was a s-t-r-e-t-c-h. I was laughing so hard that I didn't have any strength. Troy was standing close by to give a lifting hand. Chay told me that when Troy would try to help me I would put my foot back down....trust me, it wasn't by choice...
It rained heavily for a short while but a tornado didn't hit. We still wanted to stay close in case it really did hit so we rode around the Neilson property.

Dave didn't ride because he doesn't want to ride anything that thinks for itself.

Again, we continued to be fed GREAT meals! We had an excellent prime rib at Mom and Dad's in PB, and Sharon must have had the same while she was there because she went to Costco and got the same cut of meat as Dad did.

Sheila made her famous cinnamon buns. There were also alot of strawberry tarts that were all eaten up...it's amazing how strawberry tarts just vanish around our family. I ate cinnamonbuns instead of strawberry tarts....I love cinnamonbuns.






A late night game of ROOK...apparently Nicole and Jacqui make a strong team
....or maybe Kristi and Greg are a better married couple than a ROOK team...

Fourth Stop: Back to Picture Butte

I wanted to help Mom and Dad more and so we intended to arrive in PB in the early afternoon to give us time to make multiple trips to the dump (you don't hear that too often). But with a stop at Costco to eat fries and gravy it was mid afternoon.
But that was okay because Jamie and Jenelle went down to PB the day we went to Edmonton, and they have been helping Grandma and Grandpa. So when we arrived there were no branches for us to load.
We did make a couple of trips to the dump but they were small loads, the two wouldn't have even made one large load.

When cousins get together, great things happen.

Nicole loves to look at old pictures when at Grandma's. The first night she was in the "big room" and I opened the door to enter and saw her standing beside the bed...not too naturally. She made me laugh, she was looking through the bins looking at pictures and heard noise in the hallway and thought it might be Grandma and she didn't want to get caught going through her things.
...I sat down and joined her going through pictures....

On this trip, with the cousins present, they went through drawers and closets and found clothes that belonged to Doug, Sheila, Sharon and me. I was surprised there were some left because I know there was a fashion show last year and souvenirs were taken.

Chay looked very 70's in bell bottoms, this short jacket and his "fro" with a pick.


I didn't get pictures of the others but Mom has some pictures on her camera and Alana has an Excellent music video that they made that night around Picture Butte.

Those kids are amazing...!

Poor Grandma though.

While they were out, she heard three police cars go by and was concerned about their safety.
When they got home we found out that there was an accident by the turn before Shauhnessy. And all the rescue vehicles were captured and added to the video.

Alana stayed up late to complete the video and it was another perfect morning when we were able to watch the completed project. It was even better watching it with Mom and seeing her enjoy it so much!


Look who woke up to see us off....

And then look who joined us...


I sure do love my Mom and Dad and miss them already.

Thanks Mom for spoiling us and making sure that we ate well and didn't want for anything...that can be said for our stay this past week and for my entire life. You're the most unselfish person I know. To be like you is a great goal to have but, I'll never be like that.

Thanks Dad for letting me butcher your tree, I hope I didn't cut too much off.
I wanted to help more but you and Mom are so independent.



We HAD to stop in Milk River and visit the dinosaur.
...ouch...
...a rare moment...



"Are you sleeping or are you awake"
There wasn't an answer so I concluded that she was asleep.
What is it with our (Doug, Sheila, Sharon and my) kids that they sleep with their eyes open?
Freaky
...Chay kept his eye open with the assistance of Nicole's backpack...
Blade's self portrait

It was an ideal vacation. The week went by too quickly though.
I want to do it again soon!

It was a long post but this was the best abridgment that I could do.

There was a post from a day ago, so continue on to that if you haven't already seen it.

5 comments:

Burgess Family said...

Great post! I love the picture of Blade by the dinosaur.

And had to laugh at the sleeping photos in the vehicle.

You made travelling to Alberta look like it was fun.

Anonymous said...

Great post, I love how my story even mad it into the blog... as well as some really sexy shots of me, pre-vomit;). I was glad to get to see you all, it was fun to visit and catch up. Love you guys!
Candi

AK said...

We enjoyed your visit so much...it's great when all the kids get to know each other! You jammed a lot in 1 week. You might have to join our 'biggest loser' contest! haha

Lana Dawn said...

I am SO glad you guys were able to come visit! and i am glad that we were able to make a music video! and that you enjoyed the chocolate tour.

Blade makes me laugh! My dad had the same nightmare as him.. but it turned out it was real life and i was making him smell my smelly feet while he sat on the couch!

i miss you guys already and i'm going to have to come visit you!!

Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

You did a great job blogging your trip to Canada. Its amazing all that you experienced while you were here.
We will have to arrange sometime when our whole family could spend a week together . That would really be a blast-- or maybe it would be too much.--all the grandkids together---hmm-mm. It was good to see you all during the summer months

May