Thursday, June 4, 2009

So, I have this brother who seems to always be doing the right thing and making the right choices in life. He's just a great guy if I say so myself. I would include pictures of him but, I don't have any...

He wasn't always a nice guy though. The day I was born he started with his "older brother" type of behavior and named me after a cartoon character...who does that? And what great parents "he" had that would like him do such a thing. And what special parents "I" had that would let an almost 4 year old name a cute baby after a cartoon character. I'm just glad that Spongebob wasn't around back in 1963!

Then there were the numerous times that he would "beat me up" while he was laughing and I was screaming...I think this is why I have such large thighs, I built them up while I was trying to kick him off of me. And then the memorable activity of him and his friend chasing me into my parent's bedroom and then bending my toes back. Yes, I was laughing but, I think that is how I reacted to stressful situations back then.

He is however defective in his own special way... you really don't even notice it though. There is a cute picture of him as a toddler when he had, or was about to have, surgery on his ear to remove a tumor/growth and that resulted in that ear remaining smaller than the other. And then there is the old "football injury" that resulted in one finger being unable to straighten completely. Okay it really was football injury. I remember playing in the warm wax bath that he had for therapy on his finger during the healing process. That was as close to a Spa treatment as I have ever been.

Despite all that, he is a wonderful brother! He would say the right things at insignificant moments to make me feel good. I still remember him telling me that I was using the vegetable peeler correctly and being so impressed that I knew how to use it (this was not recently but when I was MUCH younger). When I was older and feeling frustrated/sad that guys weren't asking me out, he told me that I intimidated guys because of my looks (I'm assuming he meant that in a good way).

He served a mission to Japan and had the privilege of learning to speak the language of our ancestors and to speak to our Grandma and experience first hand the extent of her personality and humor. How priceless is that?

Then he marries a wonderful young lady and together they have 6 talented girls with personalities you are drawn to and as a bonus they are all beautiful!

He lives the Gospel they way people are suppose to and gives of himself endlessly and willingly. That does not go unnoticed.

It's fun to watch him as a Dad because he has a great relationship with each of his daughters, and is actively involved in their lives in such a supportive way.

And to me, he's like the twin I never had. According me my kids, I look like my brother when I make certain expressions and according to his kids and my kids, we sound alike in many of the things that we say as parents. Never mind that we find alot of the same things funny. Maybe I like him so much because he laughs at some of the funny things I say when no one else does. ...and they are funny... He understands what I'm talking about and relates to it when no one else can...remember "Mr. Grant"?

Well, that's I'm thinking about at the moment...

9 comments:

M. Piepgrass said...

I like Uncle Doug too.

Burgess Family said...

Yes, you two really are like twins. You are both great siblings to have. You both have the humor that Sharon and I missed out on...I guess we all couldn't all
have the humor and good looks.

Mr. Grant? I remember him. Did he talk to you about driving into the ditch too?

Sharon said...

LOL! I remember his advice on "driving in the ditch" too.

Doug is a great older brother! . . . however, I don't remember him allowing us to paint his fingernails or toes.

.Ang. said...

This is a great post!! It made me laugh and I got teary eyed as well!
Dad really is exactly how you described him!

I guess Auntie Sheila and Auntie Sharon remember "mr.grant" as well as you and dad do!

:)

You really are my dad's twin! And I agree with him completely. You do use a peeler quite well!

Love you!

"Trinclog" is the word verification. I just thought it was worth mentioning.

Wilma said...

Sheila and Sharon, you two ARE on the same way length as Doug and me! What's SO funny is that you know who "Mr.Grant" is...and his name was REALLY "Mr. JOHNSON"!! But he never told me the driving in the ditch story....

Thank goodness for make up because without it I look like a guy, hence, Doug's twin brother.

Papahashi said...

Thanks for the kind words Wilma. At first I thought you might have had another brother who passed away but when I read about bending back the toes I knew it was me. We seriously thought you liked it because you laughed so hard. I do hope that you recover from that.

That is hilarious that Sheila remembers Mr. Grant. We must all be getting old. And I don't remember anything about "driving in the ditch". Maybe someone can remind me.

Thanks for pointing out the surgeries - now the world (at least the world that reads your blog) knows of my addiction to plastic surgery (you should have seen me before) In addition to my ear and my finger I had a lump removed from the back of my head - I really was a fathead.

And Wilma - Thank you for laughing at my jokes - which ARE funny by the way. Around her when I say something I think is funny and no one responds my initial reaction is that no one heard me. I will repeat it but the response is always something like "We heard you the first time -it was funny then either". Its like the camouflage jokes - are we the only two in the world that think thats funny?

Thanks for the post Wilma. It was good timing. I really needed to hear some of those things.

(Since there were no pictures I feel like I need to post some pictures on my blog - but that might be awkward.)

(The verification word is angse which may be the plural of Angie in some language)

Wilma said...

It is what we do now Doug...I write the words, you post the pictures. You can't stop now...I'm counting on you! I have some camouflage pictures of you...but I can't find them.

May Takahashi said...

Speaking of Mr. Grant. The last I heard he had a heart attack or something and wasn't well, I went to school with him in Barnwell. He was a bit older but all the High School grades were in the same room.. His wife died a few years ago and he was living with his son who has Downs Syndrome.He is not too bad.
What was this driving in the ditch story?. I guess I must have missed it.-as well as some of the others you mentioned. Its nice to remember the old days
and have a good laugh

Burgess Family said...

Okay, I guess Sharon and I are part of the joke now. We both knew exactly who Mr. Grant was.

I laughed when Doug reminded me his name is GRANT Johnson.

Driving in the ditch? Mr. Grant would tell us we should try driving into the ditch so that if we had a car coming at us, we were already practised up to drive into the ditch to safety.

Is that how you remember it Sharon?