Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Care Package #2

Craig had told Sharon that it would be alright if people sent some of those "DearElder" packages that the site advertises (frequently), so Sharon talked with me and I told her that I could send make things and send treats to Craig.
The first package was homemade caramel popcorn and a couple of cookies (shhhhhh, cookies from Sam's Club). I wasn't sure if he had received that package but yesterday I found out that Craig had written a nice thank you letter and it was on the fridge but, it was folded and I wasn't curiously enough to pick it up and unfold it. So, now that I know it arrived quickly, I'm willing to send more.
I did make some sugar cookies but wasn't pleased with the outcome and so we're eating them at my place instead of Craig eating them. I should consult with Candi.


Craig had written in the letter that he liked Sweet Tarts and Chewy Sweet Tarts (and listed some Canadian candy) and I was surprised by how difficult they were to find in the grocery stores. The Giant Chewy Sweet Tarts are like McIntosh Toffee in that you bang them on a hard surface before opening and then eat the smaller pieces.

The Grasshopper cookies were added because when Jacqui, Brent and Craig were at our place (that seems so long ago), Craig loved them. He initially had the Girl Scout version since it was Girl Scout cookie time, but I also had the Grasshoppers to test how the two versions compared and I don't think he noticed the difference.
So now I know I can get them all year long if I want. The Samoa's are my favorite Girl Scout cookie and Keebler makes a version that is pretty darn close to the Samoa. (Sorry about the tangents...).

I made some caramel and chocolate dipped pretzel rods for Craig and the broken ones have been tasted, and they are safe for Craig to eat. Sweet and salty (and for me, crunch) is the perfect combination.

The tags on the bags are Cinco de Mayo tags for the "fifth of May" celebration in Mexico. Isn't that Drew's birthday? I know Craig isn't going to Mexico but he is learning Spanish and people in the USA kind of celebrate Cinco de Mayo, okay, maybe eat some Mexican food.

Now that we know that Craig will only be at the MTC for a couple more weeks, I need to get care packages to him more frequently. Since he will remain in the USA, I can continue the packages but will it be the same when he can go to the store and get treats himself? What do you return missionaries think?


5 comments:

May Takahashi said...

I hope Craig doesn't get sick eating all those goodies.Thats enough to last him for a month' I can see him putting on weight with all the sweet stuff.
Its good of you to take the time to make him care packages.Thanks for doing it.I am sure he is loving it.
I enjoy his letters. He says he is leaving for For Farmington on May 16.That is if his shoulder is
all right. Will call you tomorrow evening.

Sharon said...

GREAT JOB! Thanks for the blog entry so we can see what Chewy Sweet Tarts and Grasshopper cookies are.

The pretzels look professional! Never heard of Chewy Sweet Tarts or Grasshopper cookies.

I’m sure Craig will love the treats and enjoy them if he doesn’t give them all away.

It’s nice that you are so close to Craig so he can get fresh treats. Sending homemade treats from Canada will become stale by the time he receives it.

Lana Dawn said...

Craig sure is lucky to get those packages. My mouth was watering thinking of all the treats (and the Samoa's).

I wish we had the same delivery service in Rexburg. Either way we accept packages at my apartment.

You are such a great aunt.

Wilma said...

Not THAT great....Auntie Sharon is covering the cost of supplies. I couldn't see her paying for "dearelder" packages when I could do it with LOVE.

Sharon said...

The “GATHER’S” care packages are definitely better!! The treats are much better and I agree, “The package wi put together with LOVE!!!

Thanks Auntie Wilma!!