It's a WEDDING
Auntie K we've been fortunate enough to see frequently the past couple of months. I don't know what we'll do when we don't see her next month.
An amazing event took place last Saturday when Dave, Chay, Blade and I (Nicole was at a Homecoming dance) were able to actually attend a family celebration down here in Salt Lake City! That may sound like a routine thing in Alberta but for us, it was RARE...and I enjoyed it! It was been many, many years since I've seen Carol and Jacqui but getting together again and talking, it seemed like little time had passed. But considering it was Carol's son's wedding reception we were attending, it was obvious that it had been a long time.
Auntie K we've been fortunate enough to see frequently the past couple of months. I don't know what we'll do when we don't see her next month.
Auntie Dianne looks as young as ever and it was nice to meet Carlin (not sure on the spelling) for the first time.
While Carol was busy doing the "Mother of the groom" activities, I had a great visit with Jacqui...I had forgotten how funny she is.
Auntie K was taking pictures with her nice camera and I took advantage of her work and snapped a shot of my own from behind.
....and as Jacqui pointed out to me... this is proof that her husband really does exist. Okay, this isn't the best shot of him but it IS him. He and Dave talked the entire time....seemed to hit it off nicely.
Uncle Pat was on the search for Japanese food that evening, he had a craving for rice. He must truly be Japanese. I know I am also but, I don't ever recall having a craving for rice. I actually remember when I was young and thinking, "not rice again..."
the Happy Couple, Josh and Marci
Brotherly Love
Blade had a workshop project from Lowe's to assemble and that was the main thing on his mind until it was done. It's amazing to me how Blade doesn't forget the important things in life. Chay got the hammer and helped Blade put together his drum. Yes, a drum...luckily the top is cardboard and makes a soft "thump".

It's NICOLE'S 18th BIRTHDAY
Sept. 14th was Nicole's birthday and she came home from school with left over cake and a bunch of huge balloons. Nicole may have enjoyed them but I don't think she could have enjoyed them as much as Blade did, he carried those balloons around the house the rest of that day and the next day.
Nicole's request for a cake this year was a keylime cheesecake from Costco! I was ready to create a masterpiece but a friend was creating a Candyland cake she had her eye on and so I think she was being kind to me.
The keylime cake was seasonal and so I drove around to different Costco(s) to find "the" cake. I was getting a little worried but found it and froze it for a few days to keep it fresh until the big day.
With a little lime garnishing and chocolate writing, it was worthy of Nicole.

I'm not a keylime fan but I must say that I enjoyed this Costco keylime cheesecake. The keylime is subtle, just enough tart. Good job on the cake selection Nicole!
There is a Vietnamese restaurant not to far from our place and it always smells good when we drive past there and so Nicole requested this place for her birthday meal. It was okay. (The spring rolls were better at the Takahashi restaurant last month). Nicole is now thinking that maybe it was the restaurant on the first level that always smelled so good....
Happy Birthday to you....
(that's a lot of smoke in the air)
...the limes may be abit sour....
...but he loved them...
...what can I say?....
The boys and their SISTER
Dave and me with our "adult"

Last night, Friday, Dave and I had a glimpse into our future...going to events with just "3" of us...Dave, me and Blade.
A week ago I saw an ad in the paper that the group Boys II Men was performing at the State Fair (tickets required but free with the cost of admission to the Fair), and was excited for the entire family to enjoy the music of a group that Dave and I loved listening to when we first got married. I told Dave about Boys II Men being at the State Fair (kind of sad in itself that they are doing State Fairs) but I knew that if Dave loved me, I would be at that concert.
Luckily, there were no cases at work and so I had Friday off and since the tickets were distributed Friday at noon, Dave, Blade and I lined up to get tickets. We waited in line for an hour, okay, Dave did, while I took Blade to see the Bear show. Blade and I waited 10-15 minutes. There were a lot of people lined up and we were concerned about getting tickets (4500 total) but we each got the limit of 6 each.
So, this dream of bonding with the family was just that a dream. Chay has an overnight biking activity with the Scouts (we told Chay he had to go) and Nicole had plans with a friend to attend a gallery stroll that displayed some of her friend's art. We thought she might meet up with us but...no luck.
the Happy Couple, Josh and Marci
Brotherly Love
Blade had a workshop project from Lowe's to assemble and that was the main thing on his mind until it was done. It's amazing to me how Blade doesn't forget the important things in life. Chay got the hammer and helped Blade put together his drum. Yes, a drum...luckily the top is cardboard and makes a soft "thump".
It's NICOLE'S 18th BIRTHDAY
Sept. 14th was Nicole's birthday and she came home from school with left over cake and a bunch of huge balloons. Nicole may have enjoyed them but I don't think she could have enjoyed them as much as Blade did, he carried those balloons around the house the rest of that day and the next day.
The keylime cake was seasonal and so I drove around to different Costco(s) to find "the" cake. I was getting a little worried but found it and froze it for a few days to keep it fresh until the big day.
With a little lime garnishing and chocolate writing, it was worthy of Nicole.
I'm not a keylime fan but I must say that I enjoyed this Costco keylime cheesecake. The keylime is subtle, just enough tart. Good job on the cake selection Nicole!
Happy Birthday to you....
(that's a lot of smoke in the air)
...the limes may be abit sour....
...but he loved them...
...what can I say?....
The boys and their SISTER
Dave and me with our "adult"
Last night, Friday, Dave and I had a glimpse into our future...going to events with just "3" of us...Dave, me and Blade.
A week ago I saw an ad in the paper that the group Boys II Men was performing at the State Fair (tickets required but free with the cost of admission to the Fair), and was excited for the entire family to enjoy the music of a group that Dave and I loved listening to when we first got married. I told Dave about Boys II Men being at the State Fair (kind of sad in itself that they are doing State Fairs) but I knew that if Dave loved me, I would be at that concert.
Luckily, there were no cases at work and so I had Friday off and since the tickets were distributed Friday at noon, Dave, Blade and I lined up to get tickets. We waited in line for an hour, okay, Dave did, while I took Blade to see the Bear show. Blade and I waited 10-15 minutes. There were a lot of people lined up and we were concerned about getting tickets (4500 total) but we each got the limit of 6 each.
So, this dream of bonding with the family was just that a dream. Chay has an overnight biking activity with the Scouts (we told Chay he had to go) and Nicole had plans with a friend to attend a gallery stroll that displayed some of her friend's art. We thought she might meet up with us but...no luck.
Blade did enjoy gelato for the first time. I don't know how it compared to "authentic" gelato but from what I sampled, I prefer ICE CREAM (I am my father's daughter)!
BOYS II MEN!
It was a great concert! During the concert, Blade initially said that the Jonas Brothers were better but, on the way home he said that Boys II Men were "good too".
Nicole really missed out.
Chay would have loved the concert...
(but there are some things a parent just has to make a child do)

Dave danced to the music and he was the man I dated over 20 years ago.
He helped Blade feel the music too.
BOYS II MEN!
It was a great concert! During the concert, Blade initially said that the Jonas Brothers were better but, on the way home he said that Boys II Men were "good too".
Nicole really missed out.
Chay would have loved the concert...
(but there are some things a parent just has to make a child do)
Dave danced to the music and he was the man I dated over 20 years ago.
He helped Blade feel the music too.
This was not the Jonas Brothers
but, we were standing during the concert like those young girls at the Stadium of Fire while the Jonas Brothers performed.
Nicole got home from her activity and after hearing how good the concert was and how much we enjoyed it and how she missed out on seeing her dad dance, she was upset that she missed it...she may have been alittle sick to her stomach, I don't know.
Chay got home this afternoon and walked through the door and said "that was the worst thing ever". It was fun until the bike ride this morning. He "ran into" a dragonfly, there was a squished squirrel on the road, and when he got off his bike after the 50 miles, his calves cramped up and he couldn't walk. AND he has a wedgie that will have to be surgically removed (his words NOT mine)...
but, we were standing during the concert like those young girls at the Stadium of Fire while the Jonas Brothers performed.
Nicole got home from her activity and after hearing how good the concert was and how much we enjoyed it and how she missed out on seeing her dad dance, she was upset that she missed it...she may have been alittle sick to her stomach, I don't know.
Chay got home this afternoon and walked through the door and said "that was the worst thing ever". It was fun until the bike ride this morning. He "ran into" a dragonfly, there was a squished squirrel on the road, and when he got off his bike after the 50 miles, his calves cramped up and he couldn't walk. AND he has a wedgie that will have to be surgically removed (his words NOT mine)...
7 comments:
Happy Birthday Nicole....I came back with the flowers you made here. I packed them all the way to SLC (and back again)You just have to come back! I have about 500 flowers and headbands now so your selection is greater!
We did end up going to Takeshi's about 11pm. It was delish! Uncle Pat picked up the tab so it was more delish!
We had a great time and the company was great but a word of advice- don't go travelling with a 6'5 giant unless you know the food rules. The rule is: Only eat every fourth time that Dale eats or you will gain 5 pounds. I've got fabulous pictures so will post them and let you know the website. Not going to blog as I want it more private. It's part of my genealogy project - confirmed my apartment in SLC for next year so that will be fun to hang out for a while.
Take care! Love you
AK
PS...Josh and Marci have a real neat video on Josh's site. Marci's uncle is photographer. It's probably on Marci's too!
i bet it just wasn't the same having to pay to get into the utah state fair... i had lots of friends that wanted to go to that concert but didn't get tickets.. you guys were lucky!! i died laughing at chay's comment. at first i was stunned when i thought you made that up yourself.. i couldn't see you saying that. and then you hadn't.
also the wedding looked like fun. it is always nice to get together with family!!
i miss you guys! keep the posts coming!!
love you
I just love your blog!! You always make me laugh so hard! LOL, even.
I miss you! It's been TOO LONG!
Looks like you had fun at the wedding. It must have been nice to reconnect with family!! Those are always good times!
SO, you know you are getting old when you READ IN THE PAPER, that one of your favorite Musical Groups is PLAYING AT A STATE FAIR!! That will be me before I know it! - I can't wait!! Actually.
I remember Candi and I Used to be a little bit obsessed with Boys II Men. I was legitimately excited that you got to go!
Seriously romantic!! Maybe next time you'll have to leave Blade with a sitter so you can both Dance the night away!!!
Brylie probably would have said the same thing about the Jonas Brothers. She is a little obsessed.
AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY NICOLE!!! I can't believe she's 18!! It seems like yesterday we were riding in the back seat of the car with her hiding from monsters and Dinosaurs. :) "DON'T MOVE A MUSCLE!"
And like Alana, I almost died laughing when I read Chay's comment!
Sometimes the comments really add to the post. Like Angie's comment about Reading in the Paper that your favorite group is performing free at the state fair. Someday that will be the Jonas Brother or maybe the Jonas Second Generation (we would take our girls to the Stampede grounds to see the Osmond boys free at the Calgary Stampede.
I think the last time there was a big Takahashi or Shimbashi family event in Utah was when my sister got married.
Happy birthday Nicole. Can't believe you are 18 already.
I did lol when I read Chay's comment.
I love the comments also!
Alana, there were actually 9 tickets that we didn't use. 4 we gave to one of the "gate" people to give to others, 4 Nicole had (but didn't show of course) and 1 beside us that went unused. Too bad we didn't know. And there were empty seats in the grand stand. And I kind of wish that I HAD thought of that comment Chay said...that was funny. Chay and Blade really missed Wayne being gone.
Angie, you're funny. I guess I do meet some qualities of an old person. AND it was YESTERDAY that Nicole was in the back seat hiding from monsters and dinosaurs...
Doug, I thought the same thing about the last time family got together in Utah. Uncle Pat and the gang stayed at the same location...different name. I think my kids got my sense of humor...
How has Chay been doing since the surgery? Do they expect a full recovery? I was wondering - What kind of doctor do you go to for something like that? I wonder if Darren has ever had to deal with a case like this.
Post a Comment